"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Eating Around the World Part III

Maybe I can fit the remainder of the food stops on our adventure of eating around the world in this post. It should be a good one! J So, where were we? Ah, yes, we had just made our 14th stop in Italy …

15th & 16th stop: USA! (woohoo!)
And, here we are “visiting” America:

Yes, we’re dorks. But we were happy and having fun! So, how about the food in America, you ask? No, it was not a McDonald’s short order line. Here are the 2 menus:
 And, here's what we tried:  


That Lobster Roll was so good it would make you wanna slap your grandma, except we wouldn’t because we love our grandmas and would never want to be disrespectful. I have always wondered why people say that – and, really, who would slap their grandma??? Come on! Nonetheless, I’ll use the expression – it truly did taste good enough that it’d make you wanna slap your grandma. Score: 5 Mickeyheads

And that above? Its Bison Chili. And, it had mushrooms in it. And, neither Jeremy nor myself like mushrooms. But, neither of us picked them out. We just ate it as is – for the experience. Yay, us! And, it was actually good. Score: 4 Mickeyheads

17th stop: Japan
Dum, da-dum, dum … oh, this booth was highly anticipated by the both of us. Before we even left Mississippi I started asking Jeremy if he would try Sushi with me. I don’t eat Sushi. Jeremy doesn’t eat Sushi. Even the thought of Sushi sends the ole’ tummy into cart-wheels! But, this trip, and specifically this day, was about the experience and trying things that we possibly would never try at home, so I was up for the adventure … I just had to convince him. Before arriving at the Japan booth we really were up in the air with whether we would actually step aboard this adventure – let’s call it “The Sushi Adventure.” I will admit I thought very carefully about all the food I had eaten thus far – what if the Sushi did it for me? I really didn’t want to see all of that again. (uh, gross – sorry for the mental picture I just planted in your mind) We step up to the Japan booth and this is what we see:

I knew the first 3 items were Sushi or Sushi-ish. But, I wasn’t about to be a pansy and try “ribettes” from the Japan booth. I can get ribettes at Applebee’s right here in the good ole’ USA. Well, technically, I can get Sushi right here in the good ole’ USA, but that’s beside the point. We were at the Japan booth. I wanted to try something Japan-ish. So, like any 5 year old who can’t make up their mind about what to get, we asked for pictures. Yes, go ahead and giggle. No, I’m not kidding, we really did ask for pictures. We eliminated the Tuna Sensation because it looked completely raw. From that point, I let Jeremy pick which roll we would try. He chose the Spicy Tuna Roll. Here’s the picture:

My dear husband, being the chivalrous knight he is, volunteered to take the first bite. Aww, isn’t he sweet?! I warned him the green stuff was hot, but he dipped his piece in it anyways. I watched his face. I just knew I was going to see it twist and turn and shrivel and distort until he finally forced himself to either swallow or spit. Being the good wife I am, I already had the Diet Coke and the water bottle open and ready for him to grab … but he didn’t. His first comment was that the green stuff was hot. Duh, I told you that before you took the bite. It was then my turn. I’m sure I made a face because it was different. There’s a lot of rice in one bite. I was more overwhelmed with not choking on such a big bite, than I was about the taste and/or the possibility of its contents being raw. I just kept chewing. I finally did taste something – I’m guessing it was the tuna … and, it wasn’t bad. We had conquered “the sushi adventure” and we had semi-enjoyed it. Jeremy ate the third and final piece. And, it was by choice, not by requirement. And, with that, we were off to the next adventure …. Score: 3.5 Mickeyheads

18th stop: Australia
I guess we were high on adrenaline after conquering “the sushi adventure” because we decided to try 2 new dishes in Australia. And by “new” I mean something that neither of us had ever eaten before - Barramundi and Lamb Chop. Can anyone tell me what Barramundi is?

If you guessed fish, you would be correct! Congratulations. And, for the record, it was quite tasty! So was the Arugula that was served beside it. Jeremy found a new favorite leafy green vegetable. Anyone have a good recipe using Arugula? Score: 4 Mickeyheads

The Lamb Chop … just wasn’t as good as the fish. I don’t know if it was the preparation or if that’s just the way lamb tastes. I like beef. And, chicken. Lamb? Not so much. At least not for now, but I would try it again. The potato salad that was served beside it was also NOT a favorite. This was one of the very few plates that we did not finish.  Score: 3 Mickeyheads

19th stop: Morocco
Ugh! This was horrible. I think my tastes are just against Moroccan food. In a previous trip to Disney, I ate at the restaurant in Morocco. It was gross. This was too. Oh, why didn’t we just go with the Baklava??? I’ll spare you the yucky details and just give you pictures. Jeremy and I both took one bite that was quickly followed by water. Ick! Score: 0 Mickeyheads (yes, it was that bad)



20th stop: Belgium
Oh, thank you Belgium for being the home of Belgium waffles and for following the Morocco booth!!! Woohoo! We didn’t even have to read the menu. We knew exactly what we wanted. Give us the waffle. With fruit compote. With whipped cream. Please. 
Oh wait, is that iced coffee on the menu??? Mmm … nah, I’ll just settle for the waffle that we can both enjoy. And, enjoy we did …

We knew it would deliver, and yummy it was. So light and fluffy, yet crisp on the outside. Hmm … I bet it would’ve been even more yummy with the iced coffee … nonetheless, Score: 5 Mickeyheads

21st stop: Spain
I have found a new love for Green Olives. Well, they don’t rank up there with Peanut Butter, but I like them. So, I suggested we try the Taste of Spain. And, by this time, I was starting to feel my tummy getting full, so it was a safe choice as well - not too heavy and little bites.


It was good. Nothing special. The Olives were yummy. J  Score: 3 Mickeyheads

22nd stop: France
“Les poisons, les poisons. How I love les poisons. Love to chop and to serve little fish. First I cut off their heads. Then I pull out their bones. Ah mes oui, savez toujours delice.” Sorry, I just had to include that little bit from Beauty and Beast. Speaking of Beauty and Beast, we saw some of the crew in France:



Sorry, I got off track. Back to the food … France’s menu:

And we chose this: 

This picture was taken later in the night – you’ll have to keep reading to figure out why. This desert was c’est magnifique! (that’s magnificent in French for those who may not know) It was delightfully rich in chocolate flavor; sweet, but not too sweet. And, such smooth consistency but perfect crunch on top! Yum!  Score: 5 Mickeyheads

While Jeremy was in line waiting for our order he starting chatting with some ladies in the line in front of them. All of them had ordered the Parisian Cosmo Slush and were chatting about how good it was. When he got out of line, he came over and told me I should try it because those ladies told him how good it was. So, I did. And, I concur. De. Li. Cious.  Score: 5 Mickeyheads

23rd stop: Ireland
One of the cast members at one of the other booths had commented on how good the Fisherman’s Pie was, so that is what we tried at this booth.


This is a spin-off of Shepherd’s Pie. Or maybe Shepherd’s Pie was a spin-off of this? I don’t know which came first. It was yummy. I’m not crazy about scallops, but they were good in this dish. The lobster wasn’t nearly as good as the Lobster Roll from USA. The dish was just a bit heavy. Or maybe it seemed heavy because we had eaten around the world all day?! Hmm, probably.  Score: 3 Mickeyheads

No comments:

Post a Comment