"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

Monday, October 18, 2010

Eating Around the World Part II

6th stop: Mexico
So, once again, I failed to take a picture - this time of the delicious vegetarian treat that we had in Mexico. Don’t worry, I didn’t make a habit of this. I think I was too excited about the frozen Passion Fruit Margarita that I also got in Mexico. Hehe. Below is the menu. It was extensive compared to most booths. If we had not planned to eat around the world, we probably would have tried more here. But this was only the 6th stop. We knew I had around 20 more places to eat, so we just tried one.
 
We choose the Esquites (pronounced Es-key-tez), or at least that’s what I understood from the cute Mexican lady that took our order. What is exactly is Esquites, you ask? Pan fried corn with cheese, spices and mayonnaise. How did I know my dear hubby would pick this one? The mayonnaise. And, it really was delicious! Very similar to a cold corn salad but without vegetables and with mexican spices. Oh, and it wasn't cold. It was warm. Thanks, disneyfoodblog.com for the picture of Esquites. Yum-o! Score: 5 Mickeyheads 

And, here's the Margarita. Double Yum-O! Score: 5 Mickeyheads

And, just for fun … here’s Jeremy visiting Mexico.


7th stop: Poland
What to say about Poland … I’m not sure. We chose the Kielbasa and Potato Pierogie with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream. The Kielbasa was like any ole Kielbasa to me. Hubby enjoyed it. The onions were cold and sticky – good just because I love onions, but definitely not great. I somewhat enjoyed the Pierogie. Dear hubby didn’t. It was bland and I don’t think he liked the texture. I had never had a pierogie so I didn’t know what to expect. I don’t remember the sour cream anywhere in the dish. Maybe I missed it. Score: 3 Mickeyheads.


8th stop: Norway
This stop isn’t a booth in the Food and Wine Festival. I just can’t go “around the world” without stopping to get Schoolbread in Norway! It’s a must! Schoolbread is a cream filled pastry. The top is iced and rolled in coconut. Mmm! Dear hubby thought the pastry and cream filling was pretty good, but he’s not crazy for coconut. Score: 5 mickeyheads

9th stop: China
The daredevils we are, we chose 2 things off this menu … mainly because we couldn’t make up our minds. (You might read that ‘we couldn’t agree.’ lol.) But, it turned out to be a pretty good choice. J


Black Pepper Shrimp with Sichuan Noodles. Yummy! Noodles were cold. I'm not sure if they were supposed to be that way or not, but they were still delicious! The best noodle side at the festival. I can't remember much about the shrimp, but I remember them being very good! Score: 4 Mickeyheads

Xinjiang Barbecue Chicken Stick. It was good. Tender. But, nothing special. It didn't knock my socks off. Score: 3 Mickeyheads
10th stop: South Korea


What do I remember about South Korea’s dish? It was messy. Whatever they cooked the pork in was a bit too “juicy” in my book. Maybe that’s the way it was supposed to be? As far as flavor, I remember us both saying, “it’s different.” It was obviously a pretty good “different” because we ate the whole thing. Looking back I wish I would have written down flavors I tasted. That sauce you see in the picture on top of everything – I remember it tasting sesame seed-y. The pork reminded me of stewed bbq pork – but without bbq flavor, but that’s all I remember.  Score: 3 Mickeyheads

11th stop: South Africa
This was not a great stop for us. Actually, I think we just made a poor choice from the menu. We chose this:

The alternate choice was this: (thank you, disneyfoodblog.com for the picture)


What do you think? That seared Beef Tenderloin and Sweet Potato Puree with Mango BBQ sauce looks delish! I say we made a poor choice as I think only about the food, but for us this was also about the experience. So, I am proud that we tried things that we normally wouldn’t. This definitely falls into that category. I remember one of the dips being spicy. The other was almost tasteless. And, the bread didn’t help enhance the flavor, either. It was rather dry. The salad – I have no clue what it was. We both took two small bites, but that was it … on to the next tasting adventure! Score: 1 Mickeyhead  And, here's the menu in case anyone was interested:

12th stop: Singapore
We tried this:



As far as flavor it was yummy. Not too fishy. But, a good fresh shrimp taste. However the texture was rubbery to me. I think dear hubby enjoyed it. The noodles were good. Not as good as the noodles from China, but good. Score: 3 Mickeyheads

13th stop: Germany
Jeremy was super excited about this one because of the sausage, and I believe it delivered. I had my one bite “taste” and went back for more. Hehe. He didn’t mind sharing. We also tried (read that “Meg wanted”) the Apfel Strudel. I thought it was yummy. I’m not sure if Jeremy was pleased or not. He ate several bites, so I’d say he was. Score for both: 4 Mickeyheads


14th stop: Italy
I love Italian food! It is one of my favorites. So, to say the least, I was excited about trying something from the Italy booth. Here's the menu and what we picked:


Whoa! Doesn’t that ravioli look yummy! In my opinion it was good. Jeremy wasn’t impressed. I think our taste for Italian food in the US is more highly seasoned (i’m referring to salt, garlic, oregano, parsley, etc.) than what it might be in an authentic restaurant in Italy. Of course, I’ve never been to Italy, so I could be very wrong! Nonetheless, this ravioli, nor the sauce, was highly seasoned. Most flavor came from the cheese. I happened to enjoy that. Jeremy wanted more seasoning. Score: 4 Mickeyheads

13 more stops to go ...

No comments:

Post a Comment