"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Eating Around the World Part I

They'll be other posts about the wedding and honeymoon, but I thought I’d start with sharing about our adventure of eating (and sometimes drinking) around the world ... Disney's World's World Showcase, that is. Soon after Jer and I decided the wedding date and started planning the honeymoon, I found out that the Food and Wine Festival would be taking place during our visit. For more information about this Disney Festival, you can visit here. To say the least, I was VERY excited. I had seen pictures, heard stories, and dreamed of attending this event someday. What is it the Disney marketing department says about Disney?? Ah yes, Disney is “the place where dreams come true." Did you hear Tink flying and feel pixie dust sprinkle on you when you read that?

For those of you who may not know about the Food and Wine Festival and you still didn't click on the link above, let me briefly explain - Disney sets up "booths" all around the World Showcase Lagoon in Epcot park featuring tapas sized portions of food, wine and beer from countries around the world. I would dare say that this day might have been our fun-est “adult” thing we did while at Disney. Now, on to the food …

***Warning: Disney had 27 booths this year, so this may be a little long. And, just for fun I'll use a scoring system of 1 to 5 Mickey heads. After all, we were visiting the mouse's house.

1st stop: Chile 
We tried the Shrimp Ceviche. I thought it was tasty - nothing special, but tasty. My dear hubby wasn't really impressed. I don't know if you can tell by the picture but it had what looked to me like corn nuts on the top, so there was a crunch with each bite. Score: 2 Mickeyheads.


2nd stop:  Desserts and Champagne (yes, I realize this is not a country, but wouldn't it be a fun one???)
Can you go wrong with desserts? We didn't think so, hence our order of the trio. If you're gonna try one, you might as well try them all, eh?

 
Pictures say it all. It was yummy. The strawberry one, particularly, was a favorite for both of us. Score: 4 Mickeyheads

3rd stop: Brazil   
We chose to try the grilled pork skewer with Farofa. I had no clue what Farofa was going into this but when I saw them take the skewer and dip it in what looked like cornmeal, I thought to myself, "wow, they're gonna flash fry it now."  haha. Nope, that's the way you eat it - like in the picture. I remember it being tasty even though it was weird eating it that way. It was actually probably much better than I give it credit for but it was right before one of our favorites so it was forgettable ... Score: 3 Mickeyheads


4th stop: Argentina
Yum! Yum! Yum! I think I might like to visit Argentina. This stop was our fast favorite. And, furthermore, what we ended up judging most all other booths against. We tried both options, and I got a glass of Cabernet Savignon. All was yummy!



I have no clue what Bonista Puree is, but it was delightful! Very similar to southern style grits. And the Chimichurri Sauce was just delish! I think this was Jeremy's overall top pick. Score: 5 Mickeyheads

And this was one of my favorites. It wasn't greasy. The corn was just perfect - tender but with a little bite. Yummo! Score: 5 Mickeyheads

5th stop: Puerto Rico

Unfortunately, this above is the only picture I took. We ordered the Medianoche Sandwich. I borrowed the following pic from Disney Food Blog.  

As I recall, it was good. While it was nothing extremely special, we ate the whole thing. I remember it having big pickles - I liked that.  Score: 4 Mickeyheads

5 stops complete ... only 22 more to go ...

No comments:

Post a Comment