"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

Friday, January 14, 2011

Today's a COOL day!

It’s January 14th. Well, it might not be January 14th when you read this, but it is January 14 while I’m writing it. Did you know today is a pretty cool day? Yep, yep, yep. It ‘tis, it ‘tis … and not just because a complete stranger told me “your hair is soo pretty” earlier today. Although that was really cool b/c I’ve been having some r-o-u-g-h hair days lately.

No, today is a pretty special day because it serves as a milestone for Baby Funderburk. You wanna know what that milestone is? Huh, huh, huh? You know you do!

Yeah, I thought you might … I hope you’re ready because I might blow your mind. Not because I don’t think you’re capable of understanding or following me, but because this thing --- I call it ‘preggers math’ --- it’s still baffling me to some degree. But, maybe it’s ‘preggers brain’ that is keeping me from really understanding? Hehe. Who knows?

Here we go . . .

I assume you all know, but in case you don’t … a completely healthy pregnancy lasts 9 months. Those 9 months are divided into 3 trimesters with 3 months each. 3 trimesters x 3 months = 9 months.  Got it?

I started my second trimester 13 days ago … the day after the 12 week mark. Makes sense right? 3 months x 4 weeks per month = 12 weeks. So, at 12 weeks and 1 day I started my second trimester. The first trimester was over. Right? 

You still with me? Good.

Today is January 14. Today is my 14 weeks mark. My due date is July 14. Today marks 6 more months before Baby Funderburk makes his or her debut. Go ahead, count it on your fingers. January 14 to July 14th is exactly 6 months, or two full trimesters left. So, how did I start my second trimester 13 days ago?

As if that’s not enough to ponder … 9 months x 4 weeks per month = 36 weeks. So, how is 9 months equal to 40 weeks when you’re pregnant?

That can’t be right. But wait … how many weeks are in a year? If you answered 52, maybe you are smarter than a 5th grader. Hehe. Maybe it does make sense. If there are 52 weeks in a year and you subtract 40 weeks you have 12 weeks leftover, which would be 3 months. Add those 3 months to the 9 months associated with pregnancy to equal 12 months which is exactly a year. No denying that --- 12 months = 1 year, correct?  

Did I make your mind do a jig? If so, good. It’s always fun to do a little jig … Hehe. Chances are I’ll be feeling Baby Funderburk doing jigs in a few weeks.

So, now that we’ve had fun, you probably forgot that I was telling you about a baby milestone that makes today a pretty cool day. Regardless of the confusing (or completely understandable) ‘preggers math’ above, today definitely does mark 6 months before Baby Funderburk graces us with its presence. That, my friends, is why today is a pretty cool day.

That means I’m 1/3 through this pregnancy. It for sure means I’m past the first trimester, whether it started 13 days ago or today. I give God all the praise for that blessing! And, even if for no other reason, it’s just exciting for this new mother-to-be. And, as silly as that may seem, that is why today is a cool day for me.

6 months seems far away. But, yet it seems so near.     

I hope you had a cool day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment