"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

Thursday, January 6, 2011

I will love it, and hug it, and name it ...

So, the news is out. I’m pregnant. And, with pregnancy comes oodles of ailments and side affects…like morning sickness, tiredness, acne, feeling like a bloated walrus, frequent potty breaks, heartburn, cravings, sleepless nights…yeah, all those “fun” things. And, all those things can be trying and frustrating, among several other emotions. They can also be reassuring. Reassuring that my body and baby are just fine. After all, they are natural side effects that the female human body experiences as a direct result of the privilege of growing a wee-one. (Okay, maybe I threw in the “reassuring” bit to make me feel better today after a horribly sleepless night. I’m guilty. But it worked, so be happy for me.)  I’ve experienced, and am still experiencing several of them. But, I must say that for me, more important than any and all of those things is another side affect. The daily conscious recognition (and reminder) of God’s hand print…His mighty work…His faithfulness…His promises. I truly am overwhelmed … even among the frequent potty breaks and sleepless nights.  

I don’t question that this baby growing in my tummy – the one that will soon be kicking my bladder at all times of the day – the one that will bestow upon me many sleepless nights in the next 20 years – the one that I’m sure will make tears come to my eyes over and over again, both happy and sad – the one that I’m sure might bring out the angry and disappointed side of me (and my dear hubby) – it is a gift from God.  

A gift.

A gift for which I am undeserving. After all, I am just human. I am just a sinner. God chose to bless Jeremy and me with this gift. Despite our faults. Despite our failures. Despite our sinning nature.  

I prayed for this gift. We prayed for this gift. God answered our prayers. I am humbled. I am grateful. I am proud. I am happy. I am joyful. I am thankful … for salvation first of all, for my wonderful husband, for the baby and for the daily reminder that God’s hand is in my life. Even if it is reminded through sleepless nights, and frequent potty breaks, and heartburn, and fatigue, and hunger …

So this gift - I will love it, and hug it, and name it …

It’ll be another 6 months or so before I can finish that. J

“Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father.” NLT James 1:17


No comments:

Post a Comment